Friday, October 28, 2011

Another Update

Hello everyone. I'm really sorry for taking so long to write this update, I've tried writing a bunch of times but every time I've reached a dead end before I've even got my fingers past the 'enter' key. In other words, I didn't know what to write. But now that quite a while has passed, I have a bunch to tell you all!
So first of all, I've been working on University applications for the past two months or so, and out of the 6 I've completed 4. I'm applying to UNC at Chapel HIll, East Carolina University, Wake Forest University, Duke University, North Carolina State University and Campbell University. I'm not sure if you've heard of any of those, but they are all good places to go and most of them have either good science departments or pre-med. My main goal is UNC. I applied Oct. 15th, and hopefully will get an answer before December. I'm really anxious about it, but I hope it goes well. If I don't get it I'll most likely go to one of the other universities and then either finish my pre-med there and go to UNC for my specialty. I'm still going into Medicine, in case you didn't know already, and I'm really looking forward to that. If I end up going to another university that doesn't have a pre-med, I'll major in Biochemistry or Biological science, and then go into Med school from there. At least that's the plan for now, things change all the time, and at this rate my history teacher is going to end up convincing me to major in history! Naah, I might take a few classes in it though. My U.S. history teacher is converting me into a history geek. Growing up, I always hated (okay maybe hated is too harsh of a word, I always disliked) history in school. I did alright with it, but I just didn't like it. There were so many dates and so many people and you had to know all the different events linked with them all and it just was so frustrating and they always taught you the exact same thing and it just wasn't something I enjoyed in school. But coming here and learning the history of the U.S., I don't know if it's because it's something "different", or learning in English or if it's the teacher. But if I was betting on it, I'd definitely say it's the teacher. Mrs. Records is probably one of the best teachers I have ever had in my life. Ever. She's amazing, she makes it compelling and interesting, and she finds ways to make it easier to remember... she's fun and she's very good at her job. I love it. I absolutely adore the class, and it's turned my entire perspective on history around. Now it's not just events and dates you have to memorize, but really it's just how mankind has made the world where it is right now. She gives it a psychological twist, where you want to know 'why' someone did what they did, not just how and when. History is nothing more than politics and psychology. It fascinates me like it never did before, and that makes me very happy. So who knows, maybe one day I'll be a doctor with a minor in History. Hah :)
Moving on to more interesting things. Maya now has a boyfriend, isn't that cute? His name is Patrick and he's a really good guy. We all like him a lot. He's funny and smart and very good at conversations, and he seems to be very fond of Maya. It's nice to see her this happy too. I'm sure if you have been on facebook lately and have Maya added you'll have seen a few pictures of them together. She's in a play right now called Night of the Living Dead. She plays Dr. Grimes, we're going to see it tonight. But I've heard it's a really good play. It's a black and white play! How cool is that? Everyone is wearing only black and/or white, and their skin is painted white. The only color is the blood. It's very creative, if you ask me.
Noah is doing well, he's doing great in school and all the teachers adore him. He's the shining star at the school when it comes to academics, and he seems to be very popular. He's grown a lot since you've all see him, he's taller than me now! And his voice is getting all gruff and he's starting to grow facial hair... it's pretty cute. He's growing into a very handsome boy (if I do say so myself xD). All the girls are after him... but he's still oblivious as ever. It's adorable.
Mom is doing good, she's adjusting to life here and finding her own little niches to fill in. She's been cooking a great deal more and it's very great for all of us. She's got her own business now, and been working with that. I think she's still going to be making videos soon, which will be good.
Hmm...what else what else? I think I'm going to be going on a road trip next summer, which is very exciting. I'm hoping to get a car and my drivers license, so that will really help with carpooling here. We drive around a lot! I'm not sure where I'd go, but I've talked to a few friends and they're all interested in going too, so maybe we can make that happen. I really hope so, I love road trips, and I think 18 is a good age to start :D.
We have a puppy! We rescued this little pup named Layla. We were thinking about getting a dog a few weekends ago because we were feeling all sad and thought a pet of some sort would be nice, so we started flipping through newspapers for dogs for sale and stuff and we found one for a 3 month old Feist puppy for 50 dollars and we're like... what? 50 bucks? what's going on here? So I called the lady and asked her about the pup and she was REALLY weird on the phone, I could barely understand her and there was just something really wrong with the situation, so the next day we drove to her house to at least make sure that the puppy wasn't being mistreated or anything (and if she was that we could at least get her out of there and to an animal shelter if we didn't want to keep her) and we get there and the lady was living in like this barn shack of some sort and WAITING on the side of the road for us! And the poor puppy was in this metal cage thing and it was practically gray from all the fleas (she's white with a black ear ) and shaking, she could barely stand up or anything. It was really sad and we were there for like less than 2 minutes and grabbed the puppy, gave the lady the money and left. So we took her to the vet to get her checked out and deflead and she's soooo precious! Seriously so SWEET and love able and so energetic and bouncy and happy. Like a complete 180 turn from what she was like when we first saw her. Completely different puppy. She's seriously the cutest thing, and she's small enough and won't grow to be too big to take her on a plane with us to Mexico. So that won't be that big of a problem. The only problem is how much energy she has! She'll run around at 50 miles an hour chewing things up, but so is the life of a puppy. We are very glad we got her out of there.

Well, I can't think of anything else to write, although I'm sure there's more I could. If I remember anything I'll send another email soon :) I hope to hear from you soon!! And I miss you guys sooo so very much. We'll be visiting in December, from the 17th to the 3rd of January. So that's exciting. I'm looking forward to going home, no matter how short the trip will be.
I love you guys!
-Lily

No comments: