Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tell Me a Story

I met a man today at work, a simple-looking guy with wrinkles around his eyes from smiling, probably in his late fifties. He was sitting alone at a table, the only customer in the restaurant, so I decided I'd join him with a cup of coffee. We got to talking, he told me about his small adventures from having moved down here and about his family. I noticed that everytime he mentioned his wife, he would smile and talk about her very enthusiastically. I asked him how long they had been married, and he said almost fourty years, and it still felt like just a few months. he went on telling me about his marriage with her, and how they met. It had been a long distance relationship, with her in Florida and him in Ohio. When they started going out, he wasn't sure it would last, but only after a year or so in he realized he would never be able to live without her. Six months later, he asked her to marry him when he went to visit for the summer. They eloped when they were just out of highschool, and had a traditional wedding a few years later.
He is still completely in love with her, time had grounded them more, and made them much wiser. But at heart, they were still both young teenagers in love.

I don't think you can imagine how much hope that gave me.

No comments: